China Mobile rewards ZTE and Huawei with 4G contracts

Huawei and ZTE have emerged as the major recipients of China Mobile’s second round of 4G contracts, with Huawei winning 31% of the deals while ZTE took 34%.

Foreign vendors were not ignored but received a significantly lower proportion of the contracts. Alcatel-Lucent and Ericsson each took 9%, while Nokia was awarded 8%.

Of the total number of contracts that China Mobile aims to sell this year, this second batch represents around 40% - a total of roughly 100,000 base stations. The remaining 60% of contracts – around 160,000 base stations – will be sold later on in the year.

The two Chinese vendors were each awarded 25% of China Mobile’s initial batch of 4G contracts. Awarded in September last year, this first round was worth a total of CNY20 billion. The three major Western vendors each won around 10% of the total contract value.

China Mobile is investing CNY225.2 billion this year with almost half of this going towards mobile networks. It aims to deploy over 500,000 TD-LTE 4G base stations by the end of the year, providing coverage to over 340 cities.



Sign-up to our weekly newsletter

Keep up-to-date with all the latest news, articles, event and product updates posted on Developing Telecoms.
Subscribe to our FREE weekly email newsletters for the latest telecom info in developing and emerging markets globally.
Sending occasional e-mail from 3rd parties about industry white papers, online and live events relevant to subscribers helps us fund this website and free weekly newsletter. We never sell your personal data. Click here to view our privacy policy.